Perhaps you’re ready to try smoking cannabis for the first time, or it’s been ten years since you last tried it. Either way, it can feel intimidating as a newcomer to weed smoking.
And unless you’re only trying it for therapeutic benefits, in which case CBD-only products are your best bet, chances are you’re hoping to experience a nice little “high” from smoking the flower. So, where to begin? We’ve got you covered! In the following post, we take you through how to smoke weed the right way.
There are a number of popular ways to smoke weed. Rolled joints, bongs, vaporizers, and pipes are all the most common methods to smoke weed. If you have a sensitive throat or lungs, vaporizers tend to be the safest method for first use, as they create vapor from heating the weed without actually burning it. But if you’re looking for a more “traditional” first way to smoke weed and smoke it right, we’re going to recommend trying a rolled joint.
You’re also going to want to choose a strain of weed that seems right for you. Choosing a strain of cannabis is a lot like choosing a fine wine or cheese– there are countless amazing options, and everyone has their own personal preference.
An indica strain is going to be relaxing, appetite-inducing, and more sedative. Sativa varieties are usually upbeat, creative, and a bit more lively. And those in search of a great anytime smoke with a more balanced profile should try a hybrid strain that has an equal blend of indica and sativa components.
Etiquette to Smoke Weed
We’re going to assume you’ve chosen to smoke a joint, as it’s the most social and common ingestion method. There are a number of important considerations to ensure you’re respecting ages-old weed etiquette. Yes, that’s right! To ensure you don’t annoy more seasoned smokers, here are the top five considerations to smoke weed the right way.
- Inhale shallow: There’s no need to hold in the weed smoke for ages. As Steve Liebke, author of A Cannabis User’s Harm Reduction Handbook says:
“Take small, shallow tokes or pulls. About 95% of THC in cannabis smoke is absorbed in the first few seconds so breath holding is quite pointless. All it really achieves is a far greater amount of tar being deposited in the lungs.”
- Respect Rollers Rights: Whoever is the best roller should be the one to roll. Don’t be the person to insist they roll when you’re not yet accustomed. And whoever rolls the joint, lights the joint and gets the first puffs. This is called “rollers rights”.
- Bud Contribution Matters: If you’re planning to smoke the joint, it’s important to have some weed to offer for the joint. If a person consistently smokes out the group with nothing to offer, it can become a sore spot. By offering something, you’ll maintain an open invite.
- “Puff puff pass, so the joint will last”: This is a famous rhyme for people who know how to smoke weed the right way. And it means just that. Weed etiquette worldwide stipulates that the joint is NOT a microphone. Don’t keep talking while holding the joint. Take two puffs and then pass to your left. Which brings us to another famous line… “pass the dutchie ‘pon the left hand side.” Joint rotations go counter-clockwise. The passing of the joint is a ritualistic process, and it’s important to respect the ritual.
- Ashes and Roaches: Always make sure to ash before you pass the joint. After all, you don’t want to ruin your friend’s nice couch or carpet. And remember: never pass the roach. If the joint has finished during your turn in the rotation, put it out. Receiving a roach is like getting a gift with no present inside. Bummer!
Smoke Weed Cough-Free
In addition to these tips on how to smoke weed with the proper etiquette, learning how to smoke weed smoothly without coughing is another important aspect. When smoking a joint, it’s important to draw the smoke first into your mouth, before letting it enter your lungs.
If you know anything about diaphragm breathing, then you know to let your belly subtly rise to bring the air deeper into your body. This is the right way to smoke weed. There is really no need to inhale with any amount of force.
A very gentle inhale will draw the smoke and fresh oxygen together into your lungs. Like breathing in a yoga class, meditation, or prayer, you want it soft and from the diaphragm.
Lastly, and most importantly, you don’t want to hold the weed in for a long time. Let it exhale at the same pace you inhaled. Usually, people cough because they either haven’t first drawn the smoke into their mouth and inhaled some fresh oxygen with the weed, or they’ve held it too long in their lungs.
Learning how to smoke weed the right way can take a few tries, but it’s worth it. Once you’re able to inhale and exhale nice and smooth, the effects of smoking weed are incredibly pleasurable.
If you’re new to smoking joints with friends, don’t be shy to admit it. If you’re able to remember these tips on proper weed etiquette and how not to cough, you’re well on your way to being a marijuana maestro!
Peers has a wide variety of cannabis products to try. And we’re here to help! Check out our products online or speak with one of our representatives to get started today.